[SciPy-user] Creating coo_matrix from data in text file

Dinesh B Vadhia dineshbvadhia@hotmail....
Tue Feb 5 17:08:17 CST 2008

The sparse coo_matrix method performs really well but our data sets are very large and the working arrays (ie. ij, row, column and data) take up significant memory.  The judicious use of <del working array object> helps but not that much.

Is there a fast method available similar to coo_matrix to create a sparse matrix from a text file instead of through a set of interim working arrays?  The file would contain the coordinates (i, j) and the value of each item.  Once the sparse matrix has been created we can then save/load it at will (using Andrew Straw's fast load/save code).

Dinesh