[SciPy-user] how to import umfpack?

Robin robince@gmail....
Mon Feb 11 10:22:35 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 4:08 PM, Robert Cimrman <cimrman3@ntc.zcu.cz> wrote:
> This should work, I do the same. Just tried with '0.7.0.dev3913'.

Actually I've upgraded my laptop and it works there with
'0.7.0.dev3913' but on this new install (64 bit Linux) I still have
this problem.

As far as I can see umfpack has built correctly:
robince@bob64:/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/splinalg/dsolve/umfpack$ ls
info.py   __init__.py   setup.py   tests        umfpack.py    umfpack.pyc
info.pyc  __init__.pyc  setup.pyc  _umfpack.py  _umfpack.pyc  __umfpack.so

and a simple grep for umfpack in dsolve doesn't show any difference
between the working and non-working one.
However:

In [2]: scipy.__version__
Out[2]: '0.7.0.dev3912'

In [3]: import scipy.splinalg.dsolve.umfpack as um
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>        Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/robince/<ipython console> in <module>()

<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: 'module' object has no attribute 'umfpack'

In [4]: import scipy.splinalg.dsolve as dsolve

In [5]: dir(dsolve)
Out[5]:
['SparseEfficiencyWarning',
 'Tester',
 '__all__',
 '__builtins__',
 '__doc__',
 '__file__',
 '__name__',
 '__path__',
 '_csuperlu',
 '_dsuperlu',
 '_ssuperlu',
 '_superlu',
 '_zsuperlu',
 'asarray',
 'csc_matrix',
 'factorized',
 'isUmfpack',
 'isspmatrix',
 'isspmatrix_csc',
 'isspmatrix_csr',
 'linsolve',
 'splu',
 'spsolve',
 'superLU_transtabl',
 'test',
 'useUmfpack',
 'use_solver',
 'warn']

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions to get this working - the
problematic new install is on a powerful machine I only have access
too for a limited time so I'd like to get it running as soon as
possible.

Thanks,

Robin