[SciPy-user] how to import umfpack?

Robin robince@gmail....
Mon Feb 11 11:39:05 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 4:49 PM, Robert Cimrman <cimrman3@ntc.zcu.cz> wrote:
> Try moving the import line out of the try-except statement to see what
> actually went wrong when importing the shared library _umfpack.

Thanks, this revealed an error:
<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/splinalg/dsolve/umfpack/__umfpack.so:
undefined symbol: _gfortran_st_write_done

I linked umf against gfortran as seemed to be required in UFconfig.mk,
and also need to add
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.1 flag to get the umf build to
find libgfortran.

I guess this is the problem. I tried setting
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.2.1
hoping this would let the import pick it up at runtime but it didn't
seem to work.

On Feb 11, 2008 4:52 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> By "new install" do you mean that you've removed scipy/build and
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy* ?
By new install I mean the machine didn't have any numpy/scipy stuff on
it before so lapack, atlas, umfpack are all installed fresh (rather
than working then broken with an update).

Thanks again,

Robin