[SciPy-user] problem building scipy

Wed Feb 20 20:38:55 CST 2008

Robert Kern wrote:

> Are you sure that this is the same numpy as the one being picked up
> during the scipy build? Since you are executing the scipy build as
> root, you may be getting different numpy packages.
Another consequence of installing as root through su is that many
environment variables are not imported for security reasons.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH comes to mind (LD_LIBRARY_PATH is also ignored by
set-uid programs, which is the case of su) ; now, /usr/local is a bit
special (may be handled specially by ld), but I think it is handled
differently by different distro on Linux. For example, Ubuntu (and
debian ?) do put /usr/local/lib in ld.so.conf, whereas fedora does, at
least from some version (4 ?).

Concretely, an easy way to check is to simply do "su ldd" on a numpy
module, to see if it can be found by the loader for programs with id 0.

cheers,

David