[SciPy-user] Multithreading cookbook entry

Lou Pecora lou_boog2000@yahoo....
Thu Feb 21 13:52:49 CST 2008

--- Anand Patil <anand.prabhakar.patil@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >  Yep. Oops. Fixed in the v2 versions of the files.
> The wiki doesn't
> >  make a very good version control system. Is it
> worth incorporating
> >  those files into scipy?
>
> I vote yes. In my opinion the following would
> combine to form a killer feature:
>
> - The handythread idea is developed a little, maybe
> to provide
> functionality comparable to OpenMP
> - Instructions for releasing the GIL in different
> extension types
> (swig, f2py, pyrex) are combined in one place
> - The numpy functions that release the GIL are
> clearly enumerated.

Yes, this is good, but I recognize that it's laying a
lot of work on someone with initials A.A.  I would be
happy to have the handythread.py along with simple
instructions of how to use Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS and
Py_BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS in the C extension to make it
all work together ... Providing that can be done
easily with a few C calls.  Maybe it's more
complicated than I realize.  In which case:  OY !

-- Lou Pecora,   my views are my own.