[SciPy-user] Count

David Warde-Farley dwf@cs.toronto....
Thu Feb 21 16:07:59 CST 2008

Hi,

One solution is to do a boolean comparison and then call sum() on the
resulting boolean array. It'll treat the True's as 1's and so you end
up with the number of occurrences.

i.e.

In [2]: x = array([2,2,2,2,3,4,5,6,7,8])

In [3]: x == 2
Out[3]: array([ True,  True,  True,  True, False, False, False, False,
False, False], dtype=bool)

In [4]: sum(x == 2)
Out[4]: 4

There might be other ways, of course.