[SciPy-user] Weave and scipy/other libs

eric jones eric@enthought....
Fri Feb 22 16:49:04 CST 2008

Here is a quick example showing how to do it.  Also look at
functional.py in the examples directory.  Note that it will not be any
faster than standard Python, because the big cost is the call into
Python.  However, in combination with other weaved calculations, perhaps
it is potentially faster -- although I haven't found occasion to use
this capability much.

eric

# example
from numpy import array, sum
from scipy import weave

a = array((1,2,3,4))
func = sum

# Note the use of py_a in this example, because a is the int* pointer
# to the actual data, and weave doesn't know how to coerce it back to
# a numpy array.  Instead, use the equivalent python object (py_a);
code = """ py::tuple args(1);
           args[0] = py_a;
           return_val = func.call(args);
       """
result = weave.inline(code,['func','a'])
print result

# A list doesn't take as much work, because it is represented as an py::list
a = [1,2,3,4]
code = """ py::tuple args(1);
           args[0] = a;
           return_val = func.call(args);