[SciPy-user] Convert a string list to array ?

Stef Mientki s.mientki@ru...
Tue Feb 26 13:50:53 CST 2008

hello,

I have a string list that I want to convert to an integer array
  data_all = [ '12', '24' ]

and now I would expect this would work, but it crashes:
  data_all = asarray (  data_all, dtype = int )

so I need to do the conversion in 2 steps
  data_all = asarray ( asarray ( data_all ), dtype = int )

Is there a better (more elegant) way ?

And maybe the string list was even the wrong first step,
the datafile I'm reading looks like this:

254 48 57
58 52 53
58 51 54
254 32 32
32 32 32

So there might even be better ways to start ?

thanks,
Stef