[SciPy-user] scipy installation without root access

Wed Feb 27 04:18:45 CST 2008

Alastair Basden wrote:
> Hi,
> can anyone give me some help/tips installing a working scipy on a Suse
> 10.0 machine (86_64) without root access?
> I can't use RPMs, as some of the dependencies are non-relocatable...
>
> The main problem that I'm having (as I see it) is getting the gfortran/g77
> mix right, such that the functions all work when installed...

The only solution is not to mix gfortran and g77: this cannot work.
Problem is, on Suse 10.0, some dependencies were broken (blas, lapack),
and I don't know the status on this (I do not use Suse).

If you need to build everything (for example, numpy + BLAS + LAPACK),
you need to do everything with g77 OR gfortran. Make one mistake
somewhere and it will not work; one solution to avoid making mistakes
consists in having a bogus g77 in your path (for example, g77 could be a
shell script which always fail), so that anytime it is called, you will
get an error. On suse 10.0, gfortran is the default fortran compiler,
which is why you would be better using it instead of g77.

To build numpy with gfortran, you need to use the option --fcompiler=gnu95.

cheers,

David