[SciPy-user] roadmap/plans for timeseries package

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen@gmx-topmail...
Sun Jan 6 18:38:59 CST 2008

Hello,
after spending some time testing out the timeseries package for the use
of time series analysis and visualisation I can really say that it
already has a nice foundation for this kind of work.

But there are things that I can see improved from by beginners point of
view.
I would like to name a few and then ask you (Pierre GM and Matt Knox)
what further plans you have. Some of these had already been discussed
briefly [1]. I am also interested because Mr. Millman meantioned
something that timeseries will be taken out of sandbox to a place called
scikit (what's that BTW?): [2]

* a example data set for at least one year on a high temporal resolution:
15min or at least 1h. Having such a common data set one could set up
tutorials examples and debug or ask questions easier because all will
have the same (non-confidetial) data on the disk.
* being able to access the datetime information for calculations:
as I understand from my oberservation, the datetime information is not
really a part of the array and therefore not really available as
reference in a calculations. A example:
One has to get rainfall intensity during early morning hours. For such a
filter the information on the corresponding hours are neccessary. Is
this already possible?
* The maskedarray function is not really good documented when it come
comes to some infomation behind what's in the docstrings. There are no
examples how to mask and data in array based upon different criteria. I
find it kinda hard to get the data in a datetime object in a clean manner.

Well, that's all so far. I haven't gotten into plotting time series more
than what's in the wiki. I guess it's mainly knowing some matplotlib.

Can I already submit bug/feature requests for time series?
Where?

I am really interested in your plans because I will use timeseries a lot
once I will have my basic needs [3] and troubles [4] sorted out.

Kind regards,
Timmie

[1] Re: time series analysis -
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/13949/focus=13962

[2] The end of the SciPy sandbox -
http://jarrodmillman.blogspot.com/2007/12/end-of-scipy-sandbox.html

[3] Re: assignment of hours of day in time series -
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/14504/focus=14525

[4] Re: flagging no data in timeseries -
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/14455