[SciPy-user] 64 bit build on Mac OS 10.5

Sebastian Haase haase@msg.ucsf....
Tue Jan 8 03:43:51 CST 2008

On Jan 8, 2008 8:33 AM, Roger Herikstad <roger.herikstad@gmail.com> wrote:
> The standard instructions allowed me to build as well, but I was wondering
> if anyone has managed to take advantage of the new 64 bit architecture?
> After googling around, I still haven't found any good instruction as to how
> this could be done. I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have on the
> code itself, but it would be interesting to try it out..
>
> ~ Roger
>

> On Jan 8, 2008 11:08 AM, Jeff Lyon <jeff.lyon@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > I was able to build sciPy on a PowerMac G5 running Leopard 10.5.1 (9B18).
> I followed the standard installation instructions on the sciPy site except
> that the build failed using gcc 3.3. I switched back to gcc 4.0.1 and sciPy
> built & tested successfully. I'm not sure why this happened, but if it ain't
> broke, don't fix it.
> >

> > compiler details:
> >

> > $ gcc -v
> > Using built-in specs.
> >
> > Target: powerpc-apple-darwin9
> > Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5465~16/src/configure --disable-checking
> -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man
> --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++
> --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/- 4.0/
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib
> --build=i686-apple-darwin9 --program-prefix= --host=powerpc-apple-darwin9
> --target=powerpc-apple-darwin9
> > Thread model: posix
> > gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)
> >

> > On Jan 7, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Roger Herikstad wrote:
> >

> > Hi all,
> >  I was wondering if anyone has successfully built scipy with 64 bit
> support on a Mac Pro running leopard? I would be most grateful if you could
> share your experience, especially what compiler/linker flags you're using?
> Thanks!

I would like to rephrase and ask a more general question first:
Does anyone have run any 64-bit python on Leopard !?
64-bit numpy for example would be quite interesting already !

Background: I read that Leopard is now -- much more than Tiger --
almost "completely 64 bit" (i.e. all it's libraries, and so on).
Can someone here confirm this ?
Furthermore, I read that the MacPython (2.5) however is still 32-bit.
Can someone here confirm this ?

Thanks
- Sebastian Haase