[SciPy-user] 64 bit build on Mac OS 10.5

Matthew Vernon matthew@sel.cam.ac...
Tue Jan 8 04:37:24 CST 2008

Hi,

On 8 Jan 2008, at 09:43, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> I would like to rephrase and ask a more general question first:
> Does anyone have run any 64-bit python on Leopard !?
> 64-bit numpy for example would be quite interesting already !

I have a Leopard macpro, and the system-provided python is still 32-bit:

b144-mcv1-mlt:~ matthew$ /usr/bin/python -c 'import sys ; print
sys.maxint'
2147483647

You can build some 64-bit code on Leopard, but it's often quite
painful (I can't get a decent R build, for example). The usual caveats
are that you need to tell gcc et al to build 64-bit objects (they
build 32-bit by default), and that anything that uses libtool will
cause you great woe.

I built a 64-bit version of python 2.5.1, using the following rune:
CC='gcc -m64' LDFLAGS=-m64 ./configure --disable-toolbox-glue

and installed it into /usr/local:

b144-mcv1-mlt:~ matthew$ file /usr/local/bin/python
/usr/local/bin/python: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

b144-mcv1-mlt:~ matthew$ /usr/local/bin/python -c 'import sys ; print
sys.maxint'
9223372036854775807

I've not tried building scipy, because I expect it would be rather non-
trivial to get everything 64-bit correctly.

To be honest, I found the whole business of trying to get a proper 64-
bit computing environment on my Mac Pro running OSX too painful, so
installed Debian Linux instead - that was a little fiddly, but not too
bad, and the end result is so much better - everything comes 64-bit by
default (and there is a scipy version installed). See:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnIntelMacPro

HTH,

Matthew

--
Matthew Vernon MA VetMB LGSM MRCVS
Farm Animal Epidemiology and Informatics Unit