[SciPy-user] New Python Releases and SciPy

Tue Jan 8 09:50:21 CST 2008

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> Dear All,
> Maybe mine is a silly concern, but within a year/year and a half we
> may see two new Python releases: 2.6 and 3.0.
> It is already known that 3.0 will not be 100% backward compatible. I
> use Python only for scientific purposes and I mainly rely on SciPy,
> but I wonder if there is anything I should worry about, like being
> unable to run my own codes after upgrading to the 3.x series and
> having to apply some non-trivial fixes.
> Are my concerns groundless?

Not really.   The 2.6 release should not be much of a problem for either
NumPy or SciPy.  The transition to Python 3.0, will be a bit harder and
I do not forsee that happening very quickly.  Perhaps 6 months to 1
year,  before NumPy and SciPy are released for Python 3.0 --- depending
on how many 3.0 features we "support"

-Travis O.