[SciPy-user] Integrating

Tommy Grav tgrav@mac....
Mon Jan 14 09:48:52 CST 2008

On Jan 14, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Marian Jakubik wrote:

> Hi Tommy,
>
> I am an astronomer (researcher) and for the job you mentioned I use
> the
> SWIFT package (written by Levison et. al). I think you know this
> package so my question is - "are you working on some Python-code for
> numerical integration of the small-bodies orbits?" I am very
> interested
> in it...

I have used the SWIFT package yes. For the problem I have before me it
is a little overkill :). I need to run a lot of small integrations
with a lot of
input/output of orbits and plotting. Since code development is much
faster
in python I am mostly my coding in that these days, as it is
significantly
easier to use in handling input/output of text files. Since the
integrations
are a a little slow in pure python to be efficient I was looking for an
interface to some C/C++ integrator to speed that part up :)

I am working on some astronomy python code. Mostly orbital mechanics
with orbital determination and integration. The code is in a very early
stage of development and has a tendency of undergoing major changes
in the underlaying class structure as I add new functionality.

> Please contact me (on my email) and we could debate about this
> topic from the "astro-view", if you like...

I have sent my reply to the list as well, in the hope that some other
orbital mechanics will be interested and chime in.

Cheers
   Tommy

   Associate Research Scientist			Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
   Johns Hopkins University			Bloomberg 243
   tgrav@pha.jhu.edu					3400 N. Charles St.
   (410) 516-7683					Baltimore, MD21218