[SciPy-user] Bayes net question

Karl Young Karl.Young@ucsf....
Mon Jan 14 17:53:12 CST 2008

>On Jan 14, 2008 2:45 PM, Karl Young <Karl.Young@ucsf.edu> wrote:
>

>>I'm starting to play with Bayes nets in a way that will require a little
>>more than just using some of the black box packages around (e.g. I'd
>>like to play around with using various regression models at the nodes)
>>and would love to do my exploring in the context of SciPy but I didn't
>>see any such packages currently available. I did find a python package
>>called OpenBayes (http://www.openbayes.org/) that after a very cursory
>>examination looked pretty nice but apparently is no longer being
>>developed. Does anyone know if there has ever been any discussion with
>>the author of that package re. incorporating it into SciPy ?
>>

>I am somewhat familiar with the project.  Although after taking a
>quick look at it just now, it appears to have a little different
>history than I remember.  I thought Elliot Cohen was the original
>author, but I guess his project must have been incorporated into to
>this project.  Elliot developed a Python Bayesian Network Toolbox as
>part of the first Summer of Code in 1995:  http://pbnt.berlios.de/
>James Tauber was his mentor.  Elliot was a student at Berkeley and was
>actually Matthew Brett's research assistant, so Matthew and I know him
>pretty well.  Elliot works for Microsoft now and is also heavily
>involved in a personal side-project, so I don't think he has much free
>time.
>
>If you think this is worth turning into a scikit, Matthew and I would
>be happy to talk to him about whether he would be interested.  If we
>can get his interest, I am sure that he would talk to the other
>developers.
>
>If anyone else is interested in seeing this happen, please respond.

 From the little I've seen of the package it looks to me like it would
be worth turing into a scikit and I would be willing to contribute some
time to such an effort. But it would be nice to get input from any Bayes
net experts and/or anyone who has used this package re. what they think
of the code and the approach taken.

--

Karl Young
Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Diseases, UCSF