[SciPy-user] Portability problems (on Solaris)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jul 8 17:11:39 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:14, James Turner <jturner@gemini.edu> wrote:
>> > 2. The Sun ForTran compiler doesn't like the "END" syntax
>> >    used in linalg/iterative -- for example
>> >    "END SUBROUTINE sSTOPTEST2" fails but "END" on its
>> >    own works (a shame, since the first syntax is nicer).
>> >    This applies to all the ForTran files in that directory.
>>
>> Isn't that standard Fortran-77? If it isn't, I'll change it. If
>> it is, I am going to have to insist on not supporting such
>> broken compilers.
>
> I did a quick search for "Fortran 77 standard" and came up with
> the following, which suggests that the syntax is just "END" without
> extra characters but AFAICT doesn't explicitly forbid the latter.
>
>  http://www.fortran.com/fortran/F77_std/rjcnf0001-sh-11.html#sh-11.14

Hmm. I can't find an explicit statement either, but I changed them anyways.

>> The docs are old and wrong. scipy.sparse does require C++.
>
> OK, thanks. I'd be happy to update that paragraph (is it just
> sparse that needs C++?)

scipy.stats.models seems to sort of optionally have some generated C++
code that it might possibly be able to ignore at runtime. It's a bit
vague. We should sort that situation out.

But otherwise, no. Just scipy.sparse.

> if there is some wiki page for editing
> documentation like NumPy has?

Not at the moment.