[SciPy-user] Automatic MATLAB to scipy/numpy/pylab conversion

anirudh vij anirudhvij@gmail....
Wed Jul 9 08:52:44 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 3:44 PM, David Huard <david.huard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a ex-matlab user, I remember being in the position where I would either
> 1. translate matlab codes to python, 2. rewrite the whole thing Python-like.
> I always ended up rewriting the code from scratch because 1. it's a great
> way to learn python, and 2. there things that you can do in Python that you
> don't even dream are possible in matlab, so it's worth rethinking the code
> structure.

I already know python(i think :) ). My purpose is to preprocess text
from matlab so that i dont have to do the bullwork of typing range(n)
everywhere where 1:n is used etc.

I agree python is millions of times superior to matlab. It has to be,
since it is a _real_ programming language, unlike matlab.

> Besides, a translator that does half the job will likely be seen rather as
> buggy software than as a useful tool for translation. I suggest you look at
> ways to interface matlab and python to launch matlab scripts from python.

I want the guys in my workplace to make the switch from matlab to
python. Thanks to large scale brainwashing(by me), they are receptive
to the idea :)

However, it is too much to expert matlab gurus to leave their
environment of choice and make the switch in a week. So, I hope to use
this tool/module to ease the translation. As a nice side effect, it
also help me right away in changing stuff from matlab to scipy.

> Sorry to be so pessimistic,

I can understand your pessimism. But this does not replace the human
programmer, but makes his life less dull (hopefully!), by doing the
boring work for him.