[SciPy-user] Automatic MATLAB to scipy/numpy/pylab conversion

Rob Clewley rob.clewley@gmail....
Wed Jul 9 10:28:15 CDT 2008

Unfortunately, basic "for" loop syntax and "end" statements are just
the tip of the iceberg in terms of conversion issues. Even if you had
a reasonable way to fix those, I think you'll find it much harder to
automatically convert array syntax. Least of which is indices starting
at 0, not 1. That can really change the presentation of an algorithm
in subtle ways.

I'm no expert in writing parsers, etc., but you might learn something
about what's necessary to convert from matlab by looking at the python
2to3 tool that is intended to help users automatically upgrade their
code from the python version 2.x series to python 3000. This is fairly
complex stuff, making use of a formal python grammar in an abstract
syntax tree. I suspect you won't achieve a reliable conversion of
matlab scripts without a similarly sophisticated approach, which would
be a lot of work for you.

Given your success with your colleagues so far, I'd suggest you keep
diligently working on the psychological angle until they make the
effort themselves to discover how easy it is to learn python. Maybe
dangle them a carrot, such as a proper object-oriented example
relevant to your work to show off what they are missing...

-Rob