[SciPy-user] -lf77compat failure - SciPy on AMD64 Sun Studio

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff@googlemail....
Mon Jul 14 16:37:36 CDT 2008

Phil Forrest wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Phil,

> I'm a non-Python using system administrator attempting to install scipy on
> Sun Solaris 10 AMD64 architecture (IBM Blade Server).
>
> Sun Studio 12 is installed in default, vanilla mode (/opt/SUNWspro)
>
> I was able to install numpy with no apparent (no yet tested) problems.
>
> First things: In the file "INSTALL.txt" there is a line stating the
> following:
>
> "See http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/Installing_SciPy for updates of this
> document."
>
> When I go to the above URL, I get a misconfigured web page (500: Internal
> Server Error).
>
> The crux of my problem is that the scipy build is complaining that it cannot
> find the F77 Compatibility library:

This is comping from numpy:

-bash-3.00$ /usr/sfw/bin/ggrep -r f77compat *
site-packages/numpy/distutils/fcompiler/sun.py:
opt.extend(['fsu','sunmath','mvec','f77compat'])

You might want to throw it out there. Depending on which symbols are
missing at link or module import time you might need to add some libs
there. I guess by the time I have build Python, numpy and scipy on that
box using the Sun compiler you will have fixed the problem :) If you
have problems I can poke around in case it is not fixed in numpy 1.1.x.

<SNIP>

> Here are some environment variables I have defined:
> # env | grep BLAS
> BLAS=/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libsunperf.so
> # env | grep LAPACK
> LAPACK=/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libsunmath.so
>
> Here is my crle:
>
> # crle
>
> Configuration file [version 4]: /var/ld/ld.config
>   Default Library Path (ELF):
> /lib:/usr/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/sfw/lib
>   Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure:/usr/lib/secure  (system
> default)
>
> Command line:
>   crle -c /var/ld/ld.config -l
> /lib:/usr/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/sfw/lib
>
> # crle -64
>
> Configuration file [version 4]: /var/ld/64/ld.config
>   Default Library Path (ELF):   /lib/64:/usr/lib/64:/opt/SUNWspro/lib/amd64
>   Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure/64:/usr/lib/secure/64  (system
> default)
>
> Command line:
>   crle -64 -c /var/ld/64/ld.config -l
> /lib/64:/usr/lib/64:/opt/SUNWspro/lib/amd64
>

> Can anyone shed some light on how to resolve the "ld: fatal: library
> -lf77compat: not found" error? Is the scipy build attempting calls that
> force F77 mode/calls?

Sun Studio 12 does not ship a liblf77compat.[so|a]. I would guess this
is a bug in numpy and it should probably be fixed there.

> I would appreciate any documentation URL that might help clear this up.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Cheers,

Michael