[SciPy-user] -lf77compat failure - SciPy on AMD64 Sun Studio

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jul 14 16:41:47 CDT 2008


On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 16:16, Phil Forrest <forrest@physics.auburn.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a non-Python using system administrator attempting to install scipy on
> Sun Solaris 10 AMD64 architecture (IBM Blade Server).
>
> Sun Studio 12 is installed in default, vanilla mode (/opt/SUNWspro)
>
> I was able to install numpy with no apparent (no yet tested) problems.
>
> First things: In the file "INSTALL.txt" there is a line stating the
> following:
>
> "See http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/Installing_SciPy for updates of this
> document."
>
> When I go to the above URL, I get a misconfigured web page (500: Internal
> Server Error).

Sorry about that. The new URL is http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy
. The document has been fixed.

> The crux of my problem is that the scipy build is complaining that it cannot
> find the F77 Compatibility library:
>
> /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f90 -Bdynamic -G -Bdynamic -G
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/build/src.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fft
> pack/_fftpackmodule.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/zfft.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/drfft.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/zrfft.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/zfftnd.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/build/src.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/fortranob
> ject.o -Lbuild/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4 -ldfftpack -lfsu -lsunmath -lmvec
> -lf77compat -o build/lib.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so
> ld: fatal: library -lf77compat: not found
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
> build/lib.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so
> ld: fatal: library -lf77compat: not found
> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
> build/lib.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so
> error: Command "/opt/SUNWspro/bin/f90 -Bdynamic -G -Bdynamic -G
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/build/src.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fft
> pack/_fftpackmodule.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/zfft.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/drfft.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/zrfft.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/src/zfftnd.o
> build/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/build/src.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/fortranob
> ject.o -Lbuild/temp.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4 -ldfftpack -lfsu -lsunmath -lmvec
> -lf77compat -o build/lib.solaris-2.10-i86pc-2.4/scipy/fftpack/_fftpack.so"
> failed with exit status 1
> #
>
> Here are some environment variables I have defined:
> # env | grep BLAS
> BLAS=/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libsunperf.so
> # env | grep LAPACK
> LAPACK=/opt/SUNWspro/lib/libsunmath.so
>
> Here is my crle:
>
> # crle
>
> Configuration file [version 4]: /var/ld/ld.config
>  Default Library Path (ELF):
> /lib:/usr/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/sfw/lib
>  Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure:/usr/lib/secure  (system
> default)
>
> Command line:
>  crle -c /var/ld/ld.config -l
> /lib:/usr/lib:/opt/SUNWspro/lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/sfw/lib
>
> # crle -64
>
> Configuration file [version 4]: /var/ld/64/ld.config
>  Default Library Path (ELF):   /lib/64:/usr/lib/64:/opt/SUNWspro/lib/amd64
>  Trusted Directories (ELF):    /lib/secure/64:/usr/lib/secure/64  (system
> default)
>
> Command line:
>  crle -64 -c /var/ld/64/ld.config -l
> /lib/64:/usr/lib/64:/opt/SUNWspro/lib/amd64
>
>
> Can anyone shed some light on how to resolve the "ld: fatal: library
> -lf77compat: not found" error? Is the scipy build attempting calls that
> force F77 mode/calls?

All of our FORTRAN code is FORTRAN-77.

> I would appreciate any documentation URL that might help clear this up.

I'm afraid that we don't have much in the way of Sun-specific
information, nor am I much familiar with the lay of the land, here. Is
the FORTRAN-77 support an optional install? Or is your version of the
compiler supposed to work without any extra libraries like f77compat
any more? If this is the case and you can figure out which version no
longer requires f77compat, we can put the appropriate check into
numpy. Please provide the output of "f90 -V".

Thanks.

-- 
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco


More information about the SciPy-user mailing list