[SciPy-user] [python(x,y)] Call for donations

Pierre Raybaut contact@pythonxy....
Tue Jul 15 12:53:05 CDT 2008

Hi all,

As you may already know, Python(x,y) is a free Python / Qt / Eclipse
distribution for scientific computing, numerical simulations, data
analysis and visualization, ...

The basic idea of Python(x,y) was to freely share with other people a
ready-to-use Python distribution being a viable alternative to MATLAB
or IDL, i.e. providing documentation, development environment and
interactive consoles in an integrated way with each other. Almost
everything was already available to make it, one had only to gather
all these tools, documents, libraries, and put them together in one
self-sufficient software (and scripting the installation process to
configure automatically all these softwares).

At first, I did this for me (in my free time) because it was a good
way to install Python from scratch.
Then I quickly decided to distribute it freely - and this takes a lot
of time, but I was very glad that other people could benefit from my
work.
However, distributing freely Python(x,y) paradoxically takes money too
(which is mine by the way because this is a private initiative). Not
much though. But still, hosting 500Mb of data with a traffic limit of
24Gb per month is not free.

Now Python(x,y) is a victim of its own success (traffic is increasing
each month : 37Gb last month, which is over the limit but my web
hosting provider has a flexible quota policy) and the new release
(2.0.0) allow to distribute easily Python(x,y) individual packages
(even on computers with only Python 2.5 installed and for users who
don't want to install the distribution but only some packages) but
500Mb are not enough...

I could pay for it because it's really not much (it's clearly not a
question of money but more likely a question of principle), but I've
already paid for the current website and spend a lot of time on this,
so I thought that I could share my debts as well as my work :)

So, feel free to donate on the Python(x,y) website.
Thanks !
Pierre