[SciPy-user] Automatic MATLAB to scipy/numpy/pylab conversion

anirudh vij anirudhvij@gmail....
Tue Jul 15 13:31:14 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Hoyt Koepke <hoytak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know I'm a little late to the main discussion, but FYI there is a
> project, pym, which claims to do some conversion:
> http://code.google.com/p/pym/  It's only available from svn, and
> there's no claim about how well it works, but it might be a good
> starting point.  I believe it's MIT licensed, so no issue there.  Plus
> the authors might be good contacts.
>
> --Hoyt

thanks for this. Your google-fu is stronger than mine :)

Work on my own script has been sluggish, since there is a conference
going on here. I am looking at the pym code right now to see how
usable it is.

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM, Joe Harrington <jh@physics.ucf.edu> wrote:
>> Automatic conversion of at least the boring stuff is crucial.  No
>> matter how educational rewriting your code may be, if you have 100,000
>> lines of tools and utilities to convert, you generally can't.  Our
>> IDL-based group has made good use of i2py, which may at least provide
>> some educational examples for converting MATLAB, if not a usable
>> framework.  The general thing is to covert what is easy, and at least
>> flag what is difficult.  It doesn't do a mapping of function names to
>> function names or anything like that.  Here's the URL, hope it helps.
>>
>> http://software.pseudogreen.org/i2py/
>>
>> If you do a general parser approach, it would be useful to do it in
>> such a way that the front end can be ripped out and modified or
>> replaced with one for another language.
>>
>> I've added a section on the scipy.org wiki under Topical Software for
>> conversion programs.  When yours is ready, please put in a link there.

Will do. Meanwhile, should a link to pym be put up on the wiki?