[SciPy-user] optimize.fmin_tnc - how to catch its output?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Jul 21 17:56:26 CDT 2008

Hi Marek

2008/7/21 Marek Wojciechowski <mwojc@p.lodz.pl>:
> Hallo!
> I tried to catch fmin_tnc output to a file in the following way:
>
>    file = open('messages', 'w')
>    stdout = sys.stdout
>    stderr = sys.stderr
>    sys.stdout = file
>    sys.stderr = file
>    res = optimize.fmin_tnc(..., messages=1)
>    file.close()
>    sys.stdout = stdout
>    sys.stderr = stderr
>
> But this does not work. I realized that fmin_tnc calls C routine which
> probably uses its own stdout, stderr. Is there a way to catch its output?

I'm afraid you are right.  The quickest way I can think of is to grab
it using standard unix pipes:

python optimise_script.py 2>&1 | cat > out.txt

Otherwise, the C-code will have to be modified.  Does anybody know
what the best way is to write to sys.stdout and sys.stderr (not printf
that goes to /dev/stdout) via the Python C API?

Regards
Stéfan