[SciPy-user] Running SciPy SVN without installing Was: Matlab IO -- can others with matlab test this bug?

Tue Jul 29 08:23:56 CDT 2008

Jonathan Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the advice. But all of these seem like hacks.

stow is certainly not an hack, particularly compared to not installing
scipy. There is the possibility to use the develop mode of setuptools,
or varisous "sandboxed" python, but they are likely to be more work, and
I don't know anything about them, so I can't really comment on them (I
know other scipy developers do, though).

>  Is there any
> clean way to use SVN SciPy without installing it. This is particularly
> important since I'm hoping to modify SciPy (I want to add a mio
> wrapper for MATLAB 7/HDF5 files) and obviously I would like to avoid
> having the build/install everytime I make a modification to the
> library that I want to test.

This is not obvious. For most softwares, you cannot test them without
'installing' them, why should it be different for python packages ? Any
method enabling the test of the software without installing it (besides
sandbox) is an hack by definition.

cheers,

David