[SciPy-user] Running SciPy SVN without installing Was: Matlab IO -- can others with matlab test this bug?

Tue Jul 29 08:56:17 CDT 2008

Emanuele Olivetti wrote:
> Insted of stow why not using just PYTHONPATH?
> (in bash, continuing the Zachary's example on numpy1)
> export PYTHONPATH="SOMEPATH/stow/numpy1"
> then run python/emacs/ipython/whatever and use numpy1.

it breaks (or more exactly becomes complicated) once you depend on
several interdependent packages (say numpy and scipy, for example).
Granted, it may not be a problem for the problem encountered by John,
but I am always surprised by the number of people who use - buggy -
hacks to do something for which stow was invented.

cheers,

David