[SciPy-user] Running SciPy SVN without installing Was: Matlab IO -- can others with matlab test this bug?

Jonathan Hunt jjh@42quarks....
Tue Jul 29 09:15:38 CDT 2008

Hi,

Firstly David, hack was not intended as an insult. Thanks for pointing
me to stow I haven't heard of it before.

However. Could someone tell me how most SciPy developers work on the
library. Because stow still doesn't seem to get around the need to do
a build/install everytime one makes a modification to the library. I
look at online documentation for developers but I can't find any
clues. What's the best way to modify/test SciPy SVN?

Thanks,
Jonny

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Emanuele Olivetti wrote:
>> Insted of stow why not using just PYTHONPATH?
>> (in bash, continuing the Zachary's example on numpy1)
>> export PYTHONPATH="SOMEPATH/stow/numpy1"
>> then run python/emacs/ipython/whatever and use numpy1.
>>

> it breaks (or more exactly becomes complicated) once you depend on
> several interdependent packages (say numpy and scipy, for example).
> Granted, it may not be a problem for the problem encountered by John,
> but I am always surprised by the number of people who use - buggy -
> hacks to do something for which stow was invented.
>
> cheers,
>
> David

Jonathan J Hunt <jjh@42quarks.com>
Homepage: http://www.42quarks.net.nz/wiki/JJH
(Further contact details there)
"Physics isn't the most important thing. Love is." Richard Feynman