[SciPy-user] Differential Algebraic Equation Solvers

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Wed Jul 30 06:07:36 CDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:43:12 +0200
  Johann Rohwer <jr@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 July 2008, Nils Wagner wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for a python tool to solve a set
>> of DAE's, e.g.
>>
>> m \ddot{x} = 2 \lambda x
>> m \ddot{y} = 2 \lambda y
>> x^2 + y^2 - l^2 = 0
>
> Our group has developed PySUNDIALS
> (http://pysundials.sourceforge.net), which is a Python
>package
> providing bindings for the SUNDIALS suite of solvers
>(using ctypes).
> SUNDIALS has a DAE solver (IDA), which should be able to
>handle your
> kind of problem. The PySUNDIALS distributrion comes with
>examples for
> each of the wrapped solvers.
>
> Johann

Hi Johann,

I have installed pysundials.
Can you give me an advice how to implement my
simple example using pysundials ?

idadenx.py seems to be a good starting point.

How do I define the set of equations, initial conditions
etc. ?
Is it necessary to define the Jacobian ?

Thank you in advance.

      Nils