[SciPy-user] Matlab IO -- can others with matlab test this bug?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Wed Jul 30 09:00:08 CDT 2008

> This is no doubt a dumb question. But why it is not possible simply to
> import the library in place (i.e no install necessary, just use the
> python files as they are laid out in the SVN co directory). Is it
> because of the C/Fortran files that need to be compiled?

Yes, basically. Pure-python libraries can usually be imported in-place
-- though sometimes, too-clever setup.py files can actually make it so
the installed folder structure is different from the one in the source
directory, and thus an in-place import will fail. (I think this is
probably considered bad form though.)

In the specific, limited case of the matlab IO sub-sub-library, it is
indeed pure python and can be imported in-place -- this was one of my
hackish suggestions for testing it.

Zach