[SciPy-user] OS X install success! + Question

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Wed Jul 30 09:44:01 CDT 2008

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 09:57:07AM -0400, Zachary Pincus wrote:
>> With easy_install, this sort of transparency is a bit lost. You need
>> to look to see which version of python is invoked in the first line
>> of
>> that script to determine where the files will eventually go. If you
>> have two versions of python, you need two versions of easy_install in
>> different places. I personally find this a bit frustrating...
>
> Hum, are you sure you need two versions of easy_install? Doesn't using
> the "-d" option, or the "--prefix" work? Alternatively, if you don't
> like
> typing the options all the time, there is a configuration file to
> set it:
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#configuration-
> files

To the best of my limited knowledge, that won't work too well, since
you're trying to use version A of Python to install a package for
version B, but the installation process often (but not always?)
gathers information from the currently-running version of Python --
version A -- to make decisions about the installation. (Information
which may not be correct for version B.)

Zach