[SciPy-user] Running SciPy SVN without installing Was: Matlab IO -- can others with matlab test this bug?

Wed Jul 30 13:36:52 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:15:38AM +1000, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
> However. Could someone tell me how most SciPy developers work on the
> library.

I don't work on scipy, but on other project I use a combination of
virtualenv and setuptools develop feature, giving it the right prefix. It
adds some overheard indeed.

I rerun python setup.py develop when there are any changes to the C code.

I do this because I need to be able to run different branches of the of
the same project in the same time to check for differences.

Prabhu has explained the way he uses virtualenv here:
http://prabhuramachandran.blogspot.com/2008/03/using-virtualenv-under-linux.html

I do things a bit different. One of the big difference is the instead of
python setup.py install, I use python setup.py develop.

All these approach tend to have there own quirks so you have to get to
know them.

Gaël