[SciPy-user] Does Scipy or Numpy have contemporary physical constants?

Wed Jun 4 20:40:54 CDT 2008

2008/6/4 John Hassler <hasslerjc@comcast.net>:
> Ah.  I interpreted his question differently.  I used to teach Chemical
> Engineering.  We used Mathcad, which has a built-in set of units,
> conversions, and tracking.  I found it to be a pain in the coccyx, but the
> students adored it.  They would throw in whatever units they happened to
> find, and hope that M'cad would figure it all out for them.  It usually did,
> although the units in their answers sometimes didn't have (obvious) physical
> meanings.  M'cad would usually collapse everything as far as possible,
> rather than recognizing meaningful collections like force (mass length /
> time^2), etc.
>
> But I'm just an old fogy who grew up with a slide rule.  Why, back in MY
> day, we even had to keep track of our own DECIMAL POINTS ... barefoot in the
> snow .... uphill all the way ...
> john

Interesting. Automatic units tracking has definitely kept me from
shooting myself in the foot many times, but I agree there's a
temptation to assume that if the units are right the answer must be
right too.

Anne