[SciPy-user] LabVIEW and LabPython

Gary Pajer gary.pajer@gmail....
Mon Jun 9 21:41:41 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Stef Mientki <s.mientki@ru.nl> wrote:

> Gary Pajer wrote:
> > I was unaware of LabPython until this post.  But I can report that
> > I've been using National Instruments' DAQmx library through ctypes,
> > and it seems to work perfectly.  I don't know how far along you are in
> > development,  but there's an option for you.
> >
> > I've married DAQmx to scipy/numpy to Traits UI (
> > http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits ) and I have a beautiful GUI
> > based data acquisition/display/analysis system.  I'll admit that I've
> > been too scared to even try to implement callbacks (used by a small
> > number of DAQmx C functions) but I've achieved the same functionality
> > using python threads.  Aside from that caveat, all features have
> > worked as they should.
> hi Gary,
> This sounds very very interesting.
> As I'm writing an opensource replacement for LabView / MatLab in Python
> (called PyLab_Works),
> and DAQmx is one of the major AD-systems in this package,
> I'm anxious to get DAQmx libraries (as till now I have some
> clumsy-windows-only DLL).
> Any change I could use your code ?

I'd be happy to share what I've done, but let me make clear that I am using
NI's DAQmx Windows dll.    I'm just calling the functions in there using
ctypes.   I have a feeling that you are after something different.

I'm not sure what you have and what you want, but if I read between your
lines, I think you might be looking for Linux libraries.  NI does have Linux
version with reduced functionality available for download.  License may be
an issue.  Would Comedi help?

If we get any deeper, we might want to take the discussion off-line.

> thanks,
> Stef Mientki

-gary