[SciPy-user] Python fn for Pascal's coefficient?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jun 10 01:39:45 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 01:28, Stephen McInerney
<spmcinerney@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I searched and I can't find
> a function for Pascal's coefficient, either in standard Python, SciPy or
> NumPy.

I presume you mean a function for the binomial coefficients ("Pascal's
coefficient" appears to be a fairly rare term, at least in English
usage).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_coefficient

In [3]: from scipy.misc import comb

In [4]: comb?
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
String Form:    <function comb at 0x1b33d70>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /Users/rkern/svn/scipy/scipy/misc/common.py
Definition:     comb(N, k, exact=0)
Docstring:
    Combinations of N things taken k at a time.

    If exact==0, then floating point precision is used, otherwise
    exact long integer is computed.

    Notes:
      - Array arguments accepted only for exact=0 case.
      - If k > N, N < 0, or k < 0, then a 0 is returned.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco