[SciPy-user] Some mathematics/statisctics books

didier rano didier.rano@gmail....
Tue Jun 10 15:00:07 CDT 2008

I tried some weeks ago to use the tutorial, but I was lost about my poor
mathematics background.
Then thank you to provide me the name of this book.

2008/6/10, Karl Young <Karl.Young@ucsf.edu>:

> I completely agree with Johann that the best way to start is to just
> dive into the tutorials and examples but there are a few books around
> that might not be bad to have at your side when doing so. The reason I
> say this is that a particular book came to mind when I saw the original
> post. Though like anything else it has it's pluses and minuses it seems
> to me that Neil Gershenfeld's book "The Nature of Mathematical Modeling"
> would be pretty useful in this context in having a broad enough scope to
> discuss a lot of the types of problem that one would be working on re.
> using SciPy (including some bits on time series analysis).
>
> >best is to start with the tutorials and examples distributed with scipy
> >or available on the website. Then you are most welcome to ask questions
> >about them in this forum, and only then might it make sense to look for
> >references, because scipy covers a huge class of problems and thus there
> >is no way one can possibly give you a reference for an overall picture
> >of its possibilities. The only way is to dive in, starting with some
> >specific little examples or problems you would like to solve.
> >Hope that helps,
> >Johann
> >
> >didier rano wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I am using Time Series moduled provided for scipy. I am very
> >>impressive by scipy in general. But I don't have enough backgrounds to
> >>understand all mathematics/statistics models inside scipy.
> >>
> >>Could you help to find some books, articles, courses to improve my
> >>scientific backgrounds ? In particular, I need some knowledges to
> >>generate graphs to show pertinent information (trends...).
> >>
> >>Thank you
> >>Didier Rano
> >

> --
>
> Karl Young
> Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Diseases, UCSF
> VA Medical Center (114M)              Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab
> 4150 Clement Street                   FAX:    (415) 668-2864
> San Francisco, CA 94121               Email:  karl young at ucsf edu

Didier Rano
didier.rano@gmail.com
http://www.jaxtr.com/didierrano