[SciPy-user] NumPy vs. SciPy and other speed comparisons

Sebastian Haase haase@msg.ucsf....
Wed Jun 11 04:18:31 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:50:14AM +0200, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>> Not to say that this is scary, that two functions, same name, give
>> different results ....
>
> I don't agree. That's why you have namespaces. numpy.sum and
> __builtin__.sum don't give the same results, and I find that expected.

Of course -- but scipy.sum and numpy.sum  *I* would intuitively
presume to be "alike".
But I really did not want to bring up a new discussion about this, I
*do* see the point for having a "more user friendly"  version of sqrt
(even if it is slower)
What I said is:
there should be a list of all such differences, to minimize surprises.

-Sebastian