[SciPy-user] NumPy vs. SciPy and other speed comparisons

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Jun 11 04:20:30 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:55, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:50:14AM +0200, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>> Not to say that this is scary, that two functions, same name, give
>> different results ....
>
> I don't agree. That's why you have namespaces. numpy.sum and
> __builtin__.sum don't give the same results, and I find that expected.

While I don't *particularly* want to open this can of worms again, the
power of the Internet compels me. To my mind, the big fault with the
current arrangement is not that two functions with the same name have
different functionality, but that scipy.* is *almost* the same
namespace as numpy.* without any clear signposts as to the
differences. It's one thing to have the single common name between
numpy.* and __builtin__.* have different functions in each namespace.
It's another to say that 9 of 489 common names do.

For what it's worth, the "scipy versions" of the 9 functions are all
exposed from numpy.lib.scimath.

What really annoys me is that "from scipy import *" imports all of the
subpackages. Again. I don't know how many times I thought I removed
that nonsense, but like a bloody vampire, it just ... keeps ... coming
... back.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."