[SciPy-user] NumPy vs. SciPy and other speed comparisons

Pearu Peterson pearu@cens.ioc...
Wed Jun 11 05:06:15 CDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 04:52, Pearu Peterson <pearu@cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>>> What really annoys me is that "from scipy import *" imports all of the
>>> subpackages. Again. I don't know how many times I thought I removed
>>> that nonsense, but like a bloody vampire, it just ... keeps ... coming
>>> ... back.
>> There should be a unittest for that..
>>
>> Eventhough scipy.__version__ == 0.7.0.dev4124 (that I have at the
>> current computer) does not import scipy subpackages,
>
> Specifically, it is "from scipy import *" that imports the
> subpackages. "import scipy" does not.

Ahh, right.

We used to have postponed import hooks for that in past
but afaik we dropped these because they were hackish and at some moment
the time of importing scipy improved (I think it was in Python 2.4 or
2.5) considerably.

Nevertheless, the test functions could import nose only when required.
That would save some import time.

Pearu