[SciPy-user] NumPy vs. SciPy and other speed comparisons

Ivo Maljevic ivo.maljevic@gmail....
Wed Jun 11 06:17:08 CDT 2008

2008/6/11 Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com>:

Specifically, it is "from scipy import *" that imports the
subpackages. "import scipy" does not.

Sorry, but I am not sure I understand everything here.

1. "import scipy as sp" vs "import numpy as np", and then I added prefixes
in front of all the functions. The times are the same, 44 and 23 seconds,
respectively. There goes that theory.

2. I tried explicitly importing only the required functions, e.g,  from
numpy import sqrt, arange, ones, zeros, random, where, ceil, sign
Agian, the same results.

Would the loading time of the two packages account for over 20 seconds
difference in execution time?

Robert, could you actually try the code I've sent?

Thanks,
Ivo