[SciPy-user] Speed differences in sqrt calculation: what is good to know

Thu Jun 12 21:49:43 CDT 2008

Ivo Maljevic wrote:
> It looks like the same topic, that is, the difference in speed between
> numpy and scipy.
>
> There are all sorts of differences that I'm seeing while learning
> scipy/numpy/python. Also an interesting one,
> but probably with negligible impact:

Name resolution is slow in python (it is generally slow in interpreted
language, and python has a rather primitive implementation - no JIT,
etc...). It is one of the reason why numpy exists in the first place
(f([1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ....]) is much faster than for i in range([1, 2, 3,
....]): f(i) - name resolution is not the only slowdown involved here).

cheers,

David