[SciPy-user] Mlab doesn't work

Alexander Borghgraef alexander.borghgraef.rma@gmail....
Fri Jun 13 08:27:46 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 02:34:00PM +0200, Alexander Borghgraef wrote:

>> > Can you tell us how you run your script ?
>
>> Saved it to mlabtest.py, then ran
>
> As it is indicated on the top of the page you are looking at, you should
> run this in "ipython -wthread", for instance using "%run mlabtest.py".

 Ok. That works, thanks.

> Just a question, why are you using TVTK's mlab. Mayavi's mlab (developped
> by the same people) is more maintained, eventhought it has a bit more
> dependancies.

 Well, because it says tvtk in the example on scipy's cookbook page. I
tend to use matplotlib for data visualization, but since 3D
visualization was hideously sluggish the last time I tried it, I
decided to give mayavi a spin. Download it , build it, try to run the
example code, harass the mailing list... you all know the drill, I
guess. :-) Standard OSS user behaviour.

> You can have a look at
> https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/attachment/wiki/MayaVi/user_guide.pdf?format=raw
> on section 6 (page 22). One remark, if you are using an oldish version of
> mayavi, you need to import mlab from enthought.mayavi.tools", rather than
> "enthought.mayavi".

RTFM, IOW :-D Will do. I just wanted a quick 3D plot of my data,
nothing fancy or interactive, so I skipped the manual and went for the
wiki.

Oh, and about the subject: no offense intended (and none taken
apparently, thanks Gaël). I just lacked inspiration for the topic
title (and I didn't have much info to share in it) so I kept it
simple. Furthermore, I truly appreciate the work done by the mayavi
people, as well as the scipy people and all open source developers for
that matter. Couldn't do my work without them.

--
Alex Borghgraef