[SciPy-user] Mlab doesn't work

Fri Jun 13 08:33:23 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:27:46PM +0200, Alexander Borghgraef wrote:
> > Just a question, why are you using TVTK's mlab. Mayavi's mlab (developped
> > by the same people) is more maintained, eventhought it has a bit more
> > dependancies.

>  Well, because it says tvtk in the example on scipy's cookbook page. I
> tend to use matplotlib for data visualization, but since 3D
> visualization was hideously sluggish the last time I tried it, I
> decided to give mayavi a spin. Download it , build it, try to run the
> example code, harass the mailing list... you all know the drill, I
> guess. :-) Standard OSS user behaviour.

And standard OSS communication problem on our part (that is especially
bad for the Enthought Tools Suite, I will hopefully be working on it
soon). That's a good answer. I have added a paragraph to the wiki page to
help avoid user stumbling on TVTK.

The problem is that these modules are still fairly new, and best practice
is only starting to form, so the great "IntarWeb" isn't as full of
helpful on up to date info as it should. But the mailing lists are
reactive :) (thanks Fred for keeping a vigilant eye, I am often
unreachable currently, and it is good to know that you will be there to
answer these questions).

Cheers,

Gaël