[SciPy-user] The IO library and image file formats -- compare with with PIL

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Sun Jun 15 12:14:45 CDT 2008

Hi all,

>> I will try to contact Fredrik today, though.
>>
> great - thanks.

I'll let you know what I learn.

Anyhow, I think that I can't really take the lead on any project right
now because I have a ton of other stuff on my plate for the next month
or two. If I do hear back from Fredrik in the positive, what I can do
is send an interested party what I have so far, which is called "PIL-
Lite" and is a private fork of PIL. From there, it should be possible
to tear everything out except the image header IO (in the *ImagePlugin
files) and graft that on to numpy/python decompression/pixel decoding.
(At that point, what we'd have is less a fork of PIL, which rightly
concerned Robert, and more a separate entity that happens to share a
bit of code with PIL.)

But, it won't be super-easy -- image formats are a real bear, and
there are things like palette-modes to consider (do we want to support
them?) as well as the issue of JPEG decoding.

Zach