[SciPy-user] Reading MATLAB 7.4 (HDF5 based) .mat files

Mon Jun 23 22:47:38 CDT 2008

Jonathan Hunt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The current SciPy libraries for reading MATLAB .mat files only support
> v6 and v7.1 format. Just wondering if anyone is currently working on
> adding support for 7.4 (HDF5 based) .mat files.

For hdf5 files, pytables is your best bet I think: it uses hdf5 as its
implementation file format, and I used it to exchange data between
matlab and python (at a time where matlab support for hdf5 was really
poor; I would guess that since they base their new format on it, it is
much better now)

http://www.pytables.org/moin

cheers,

David