[SciPy-user] Advanced Image Processing with Python

Pierre Raybaut contact@pythonxy....
Tue Jun 24 08:51:07 CDT 2008

> Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:10:14 -0400
> From: Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@yale.edu>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-user] Advanced Image Processing with Python
> To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org>
>
> > The rest of what I'm looking for is basically what you
> > can find in MATLAB image processing toolbox, and some shape
> > recognition
> > algorithms eventually.
> >
> > The main idea would be to develop a first software with commonly used
> > image processing tools (basic ones: filters, geometric
> > transformations,
> > basic operations, histograms, profile extraction, fft, ...), and
> > optional modules to extend its features.
> >
> > This software will be used to process mainly gray-scale (and less
> > often
> > color) images, that can be stored in 2D data arrays (as well as 1D
> > signals, but that's not a problem with Numpy/Scipy). So what I'm
> > looking
> > for would be an image processing library (and one only if possible) to
> > handle this, and of course I'd prefer it to be widely used, still
> > developed and maintained, with a great future ahead... the perfect
> > library!
>
> I think that OpenCV (with the ctypes python bindings) and
> scipy.ndimage should probably be pretty good candidates here...
>
> Zach

Hi Zach,

Among all Python image processing libraries, ITK appears to be the most
promising (thanks to WrapITK - as you know, Zach, of course:
http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/WrapITK/WrapITK_-_Enhanced_languages_support_for_the_Insight_Toolkit.pdf).
But for Windows users (and I am one, unfortunately), ITK seems difficult to
build compared to VTK for instance (and it's a very long process - 3 hours
on my machine which is quite powerful). I've already tried and failed with
MinGW and VSC2003.
That is really weird for such an interesting library to be almost closed to
Windows users: there is no binaries available for Python 2.5 (actually there
is none for VTK either but at least it's easy to build). And when I see what
it can do (at least on paper), it surprises me that no one tried to build it
on Windows before (and shared the binaries with the community), except for
Python 2.4 (
http://cpbotha.net/2007/08/02/python-enabled-vtk-51-and-itk-32-windows-binaries/).
Is there any reason for that? (is this library not so good as it seems?)

Anyway, if I succeed, I will be glad to share the result with the community.

Pierre