[SciPy-user] simple PDE tools?

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus@yale....
Tue Jun 24 14:33:41 CDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm trying to solve an optimization problem that might be best
approached by formulating it as a "physical" system of interacting
particles (certain of which have attractions to and repulsions from
certain others). I could then write an energy term for the system at a
given state, and a term for the forces on each particle in that state.

Are there any simple PDE tools available that I could use to time-step
something like this until convergence? I've looked into FiPy, which
looks like it's more set up for continuum modeling (like level sets,
heat flow, etc.) than just time-integrating the forces on a set of
particles. I could also write an integrator myself, but there are of
course sufficiently many gotchas there that I'd rather not.

Thanks,

Zach