[SciPy-user] failures=15, errors=7, scipy svn r4244 on OS X Leopard 10.5.2

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail....
Thu May 8 11:46:22 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:58 AM, George Nurser <gnurser@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting errors. This was with gfortran 4.3.0 from macPorts,
> standard gcc 4.0.1, numpy svn 5148.
>
> Quite a few errors were with matrices having the incorrect shape in
> test_matvec etc; also a couple of failures in fancy indexing.
> I wonder if recent work on matrices in numpy may be inconsistent with
> the scipy test routines now.

After updating to numpy svn 5148 I see the same errors.

I don't follow the numpy mailing list so the matrix indexing change
was a surprise for me.  I find it a little obnoxious that A[1] on a
numpy matrix now returns a rank 1 array.  This isn't the sort of
change I would have expected from software that bears the magical 1.x
designation.

The only thing worse than counterintuitive behavior is non-backwards
compatible changes in a minor version release.

I don't know when/if I'll change sparse to conform to the dense
matrices.  Numpy matrices seems to be a moving target these days and
my spare time is not so abundant that I can write code for moving
targets.

--
Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/