[SciPy-user] scipy 0.7.0.dev4373 + atlas FAILED (failures=2, errors=12)

Sun May 18 04:02:30 CDT 2008

Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:
> well, I am not sure the doc marathon will deal with building scipy, at
> least as a priority....

Yes, I agree. I think too many people try to build all the dependencies
by themselves, and are surprised it is difficult. Frankly, I almost
think it would be good to have less documentation, as an
'anti-incentive'. Building software which rely on binaries linked with
several languages is just something inherently difficult and requires a
lot of knowledge for the platform. The fact that ATLAS, BLAS and LAPACK
use non standard build procedures certainly does not help either.

>  This is going to remain a very tough issue
> because scipy depends on packages that are complex and hard to build.
> Note that if you dont need smart lin. algebra you still have plenty of
> good stuff in scipy despite this lapack failure. Maybe what would be
> nice is for the scipy build process to clearly disable some specific
> libs if something goes wrong and report it at the end of the build.

That's one of the reason I worked on numscons: in numscons, all
dependencies are actually checked, contrary to numpy.distutils which
just checks for the *presence* of a dependency. For example, if your
atlas is somewhat buggy and cannot be linked, numscons detects it
because before using atlas, it tries to build/run a small program which
uses atlas, and this is logged.

cheers,

David