[SciPy-user] optimizing numpy on Linux?

osman osman@fuse....
Sun May 18 09:44:40 CDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 21:06 -0500, Robert Kern wrote:

> If your application heavily uses linear algebra operations, yes, this
> would help. In particular, the ATLAS in Ubuntu is fairly old and is
> missing many optimizations for newer CPUs (in addition to being a
> generic build that won't take advantage of your precise
> configuration). However, in another thread, Xavier Gnata has been
> having trouble doing exactly this. I haven't built numpy against a
> recent ATLAS myself for some time, so I don't know what the problem
> is. If you get it working, please let him know how you did it and
> update the wiki page for installing on Linux.

I was able to install atlas on 64 bit feisty/gutsy AMD64. Trick is
building everything yourself. I used gfortran and followed Robin's
install help page:
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux#head-1c4018a51422706809ee96a4db03ca0669f5f6d1

I had find and delete all of the old libs first. That turned out to be
quite a task and most of troubles as I had put libs
in /usr/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/home/osman/lib , 32 and 64 ... etc
At the end I did have a working scipy with umfpack and sfepy.
Thanks again to Robin.
Regards,
-osman