[SciPy-user] splrep/splev versus interp1d

Wed May 21 11:23:21 CDT 2008

Johann Rohwer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the difference (in terms of the underlying algorithms) between
> splines generated by sp.interpolate.interp1d and sp.interpolate.splrep/splev?

The former does not use any "smoothing" while the latter does use
"smoothing".     Interpolation using splines for order greater than 1
actually requires additional constraints to be made as there are more
degrees of freedom left after specifying continuity up to the (k-1)st
derivative (for order k).

The splrep functions use a smoothing constraint which I find useless
unless you are interpolating noisy "data" (you can set the smoothing
constraint to 0 and then I'm not sure what additional constraint it is
using to define a unique spline).

The interp1d function which uses low-level spline interpolation
functions by default uses a constraint that enforces "minimial"
discontinuity in the kth-derivative.  So, yes, they will return
non-identical results and this is to be expected.

Interpolations for k>1 depends on the additional assumptions you add and
there is a large number of possibilities.   I'd like to flesh this out a
bit better so it is clear what additional constraints are available.

-Travis