[SciPy-user] Generating a 4D array from a set of 3D arrays

Dharhas Pothina Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx...
Wed May 21 13:07:26 CDT 2008

Perfect. Thanks I knew there must be something simple I was missing.

- dharhas

>>> "Robert Kern" <robert.kern@gmail.com> 5/21/2008 12:45 PM >>>
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Dharhas Pothina
<Dharhas.Pothina@twdb.state.tx.us> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to read 3 dimensional time series data from a file and store it in a numpy array so I can analyze the data. I'm having problems working out how to append the 3D array from each timestep to make a 4D array. I worked out that I could make a list of 3D arrays but if I do that I'm having issues slicing it the way I need to.

Keep appending to the list to build it up. Then make an array from
that list using array().

from numpy import array

a = array([[[  1,   2],[  3,   4],[  5,   6]],[[101, 102],[103,
104],[105, 106]],[[201, 202],[203, 204],[205, 206]]])
data_list=[]
newdata = a
for i in arange(5):
   data_list.append(newdata)  # This is the idiomatic way to append to a list.
   newdata = newdata + 1000

data_array = array(data_list)

--
Robert Kern